Business Regulations

Clovis Business Regulations

Like any other City, Clovis has some regulations for businesses. We ask that you double-check with the staff members as you are obtaining your permits. It is important to us that you know the Community and Economic Development Department is here to help you in any way possible. Some of the regulations below may not apply to you, while others might. Please contact the designated individual for each regulation. If you have problems, please do not hesitate to contact us at (559) 324-2082.

Fire Safety Requirements

It is important to know that certain high-risk business types, may require specific fire protection systems in accordance with the California Fire Code. Business owners may contact the Clovis Fire Department for guidance in this matter prior to any property acquisition.

A minimum of one 2A10BC fire extinguisher needs to be provided for every 3,000 sq. ft. of floor area. It must be mounted on the wall no higher than 5’ above the floor. Additional fire extinguishers shall be provided as determined by the Fire Marshal. Extinguishers shall be serviced annually and shall have a current service tag attached. Extension cords shall not be used as a substitute for permanent wiring.

Any building over 5,000 square feet changing use, will need to have fire sprinklers installed.

Remember – Never accept unexpected service or repair work to your fire extinguishing systems and equipment from an unrecognized company or individual. When in doubt about the required service to your fire equipment – call the Clovis Fire Department at (559) 324-2200 for guidance.

Additional fire protections may be required depending upon the type of business. If you have any other questions, please contact the Clovis Fire Department at (559) 324-2200.

Sign Regulations

As you may not be aware, the City of Clovis has a comprehensive sign ordinance (CMC 9.34) for commercial uses. The temporary sign section of the Clovis Ordinance allows business owners the right to advertise specials, conduct promotions, and have seasonal displays in conjunction with the placement of permanent signs.

For your convenience, we have listed a few of the specific items which may be of interest to you.

Promotional Banners

The display of promotional banners is allowed three times per year. These displays are limited to a fourteen-day display period, and may not exceed in size the total allowable sign area for the lease space. Please visit or call the City of Clovis Planning Division at (559) 324-2340 to fill out a temporary sign form prior to hanging the banner(s) at your place of business.

Grand Opening

Please be advised that “A” frame and “I” frame type signs are not allowed in the City of Clovis, with the exception of a Grand Opening event. Grand Opening signs shall be limited to only one grand opening and a maximum display time of thirty (30) days per business, with written notification given to the Planning and Development Services Director. 

Holiday Promotions

Within the eight identified holiday periods temporary promotion signs, as allowed by this ordinance, may be displayed without obtaining a sign permit or prior approval, by the city. The allowed holidays and promotional display periods, totaling 57 days, are as follows:

  • Valentine’s day and the preceding 6 days
  • Easter and the preceding 4 days
  • Last day of the Clovis Rodeo and the preceding 4 days
  • Memorial Day and the preceding 4 days
  • July 4th and the preceding 4 days
  • Halloween and the preceding 4 days
  • Thanksgiving and the preceding 9 days
  • Christmas/New Years (December 16 to December 31st)

Please keep in mind that movable signs (balloons, or other inflated devices, flags), and “Burma Shave” type signs are not allowed in the City of Clovis. All other signs, temporary or permanent do require a City permit prior to placement. It is our sincere desire to help keep Clovis’ business district attractive and viable.

Please feel free to contact the Planning Division for any questions or for further information on our sign ordinance at (559) 324-2340.